Friday, April 18, 2008

Different strokes

Rahul Saigal (acj, 98)

Some holidays change the course of our lives forever. Of course, we do not know this beforehand.

When I traveled from Bombay to Bangalore with my entire wardrobe packed in two suitcases, I hadn't a clue if I'd be back home in a couple of days, or nine months later with a diploma in print journalism from the Asian College of Journalism. Rather absurd, that twice as many students, who would finally be admitted, should be asked to attend an interview on the pre-condition that selected candidates would start school immediately.

At 20, we ask fewer questions of situations we do not understand. Or even of instances that threaten to change the trajectory of our lives. It is only obvious then that every person who constitutes a space in this time of our lives will live with us forever. Even Peter, the accountant, who'd almost convinced me to pursue a career in whores racing so that I could tip him off beforehand on the best whores. Only a couple of days earlier, Sanyal had asked me to work on a series of investigative stories on a politician-in-power's many relationships with promiscuous women.

I didn't take up Peter's advice after I figured he was talking about horses. Sanyal, I still suspect, was only thinking of innovative ways of having me bumped off.

One of the very few things that Shinibali* and I had in common, then, was that we could never have been among Sanyal's favourite students. It's funny how one man's dogged obsession to gun for you can change your life forever. Most admit to have become "new and improved" writers and editors. Shinibali and I got married. I sometimes wonder if we hooked up initially only in spite of Sanyal.

I did not pursue writing or journalism as a career.

My days at ACJ hold some of my fondest memories. All made up of Kerala parathas, lousy movies, Shinibali's cool chauffeured bike, great friends, the girls' hostel, Meena, Ramki, Clara and Peter. And punctuated by one remarkable man. Remarkable – someone you cannot help but make a remark about.

Ten years ago, we were all perhaps the most integral part of each other's lives. Let's meet again. This time, for a shorter holiday. August in Bangalore?

(* Shinibali, or Saki as we used to call her, was Rahul's classmate at acj. They married soon after the course.)

No comments: